Updated: Jul 15, 2020
Summertime has arrived in Southern California. Hot days and cool nights. Life is good and 'tis the season to BBQ and enjoy life outdoors! Lemons are in season here and Sorbet is a simple recipe with a refreshing result. It always tastes better when shared!
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
Lemon zest from 4-5 lemons
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4-5 lemons).
1 Tbs. vodka (to keep the sorbet soft in the freezer. Alcohol does not freeze.)
Sprigs of fresh mint for garnish
Ice Cream Maker
1. Make a Simple Syrup. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat water and sugar. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves and liquid is clear. Remove from heat, allow it to cool completely.
2. Grate & Juice. Use a fine grater or microplane to zest the yellow part of the lemon peel. Cut the lemons in half and juice them. Reserve juice and pulp, scoop out any seeds.
3. Mix it all together. When the Simple Syrup has cooled, add lemon zest, lemon juice and vodka, stir.
4. Process in the Ice Cream Maker. Pour liquid into the ice cream maker. Follow manufacturer's instructions.
5. When sorbet is finished, transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.
6. Serve into small bowls using a small cookie scoop. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Enjoy the tangy, sweet taste of summer!